Michigan Cannabis Market Nets $60M Windfall for Local Governments

Michigan Cannabis Market Nets M Windfall for Local Governments
High Times

Tens of millions of dollars have been doled out to local governments across Michigan as a result of the state’s cannabis industry.  FOX 2 Detroit reports that the state sent out nearly $60 million to counties and local governments. “Local governments that have approved the recreational sale of weed in their county, city, village, or township will see approximately $51,800 for every retail store and micro-business that it’s handed out licenses to,” the station says. According to FOX 2 Detroit, “Only 30% of total adult-use sales go to local governments, with the other 70% going to schools and roads. When contributions from last year are paired next to figures from 2021 and 2020, they show an industry that shows no signs of slowing down.” Voters in the state legalized adult-use cannabis in 2018, when they approved Proposal 1.  That initiative made it legal for adults 21 and older to toke up, and cleared the way for a regulated cannabis market that launched in 2019.  But despite strong sales numbers, Michigan, like other regulated cannabis markets, has become oversupplied with pot. Politico reported last year that the “number of cannabis grow operations serving the state’s recreational market has almost doubled in the past year,” and that the “number of active marijuana plants now exceeds 1.2 million, roughly six times the volume seen in 2020.” “Michigan has way too much weed,” Politico said then. “By one estimate, Michigan has enough cultivation capacity to supply three times as much weed as the state’s consumers are buying — and that doesn’t include the huge illegal market that by all accounts commands a large share of sales.” That, according to Politico, makes Michigan “emblematic of what’s been happening across the country all year — and why the industry’s been in a funk even as legalization…

Excerpt only …
Source : Michigan Cannabis Market Nets M Windfall for Local Governments

reposted by Cannabis News World

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.